Bangladesh Mapping for Infrastructure Development
Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA)
Department for International Development Cooperation, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland (FINNIDA) and European Commission DG1B
1989-97, continuation 1997-2000
Topographical mapping 1:10 000 covering an area of approx. 40 000 km² (coastal part of Bangladesh).
- Ground control and establishment of new horizontal datum by GPS
- Aerial photography at scale 1:30 000 /black & white and colour infra material
- Terrain model by field measurements to obtain information for 25 cm contouring
- Photogrammetric mapping
- Cartographic works
- Production of rectified mosaics 1:10 000
- Production of the maps at scale 1:10 000
- Printing of the maps
The original project has been expanded since 1990 to include priority areas of the Flood Action Plan
-program coordinated by the World Bank. This phase included 22.000 sqkm additional aerial photography in black & white and colour infra material
This project was a turn-key project where FINNMAP was responsible for all production. Production staff of approx. 300 persons was hired by FINNMAP. All work was carried out by local staff with expatriates providing training and overall management.
The project includes a training component, where the personnel of Survey of Bangladesh was trained in the production and management activities in all the project phases. A preselected list of production equipment was also handed over to Survey of Bangladesh.