Strengthening National Geographic Services in Lao PDR
National Geographic Department of Lao PDR
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
The purpose of the project was to provide support to the National Geographic Department (NGD) to create, maintain, manage, provide and distribute reliable geographic data services to public and private stakeholders/clients and to plan, budget and manage its information services in Lao PDR.
Technical Assistance was directed to three components: 1) Service policy development of the NGD, 2) Technical capacity building in the NGD and 3) Aerial photography, survey and production of orthophoto and topographic maps, and establishing a NSDI.
- Service and policy development in National Geographic Department: Long-term strategy and mid-term action plan for the National Geographic Department
- Locating clients and providing them with access to geographic data in Lao PDR
- Technical capacity building of the National Geographic Department, hardware, software, on-the-job training
- Aerial photography covering 71 000 km2 (1st flying mission 2010-11) and 90,000 km2 (2nd flying mission 2012-13), ground control surveys, production of orthophotos and topographic maps for a pilot area as on-the-job training
- Densification of geodetic ground control network
- IT/GIS/Computer network and database management for the establishment of NSDI
- Updating and preparation of selected urban and suburban digital topographic maps at scale 1:5 000